Tucson, Arizona

100 dead animals. Drowned. Under the roof of Petco. WHERE IS THE ACCOUNTABILITY? WHERE WAS THE STAFF? WHERE WAS CORPORATE? WHERE WERE THE MANAGERS??

PETCO left hundreds of caged animals to die in its Johnson City, New York, store in massive flooding caused by Tropical Storm Lee.

Despite highly publicized flood warnings and a mandatory evacuation order from the town's mayor, PETCO's vice president of animal care (a misnomer if we ever heard one), Marcie Whichard, had the nerve to call the flooding "completely unpredictable" and admitted that "the decision was made to keep the animals in the store." Hundreds of birds, guinea pigs, ferrets, hamsters, mice, reptiles, and other animals were abandoned, forced to try to keep their heads above water as floodwaters rose. Nearly 100 animals died. One can only imagine the terror and suffering that these animals experienced, all because PETCO—a multibillion-dollar company—could not be bothered to make provisions for them.

Comments

Y'all know that if a store floods emergency officials won't let you back into it til they deem its safe right

this could be called " Titanic goes down at Petco...... hundreds drown."

PETCO is not responsible for every decision made by their employees. The District Manager & General Manager are responsible for ensuring emergency evacuation procedures are created & followed.

During an extended power outage from a recent storm in the area our local petco only removed the expensive fish warm and cold blooded animals but only the expensive pets. An employee took the inactive to remove what remaining animals he could both warm and cold blooded.

After power was restored I needed some things for my pets the sight and smell in that store turned my stomach hundreds of fish floating in tanks that had been without power for a week, dead mice and hamsters in cages. I am so disgusted I have trouble just driving past that place.

PETCO needs to respond to this allegation. I have spent a lot of money with this Company over the years and if this is true they will never see another dime from me.

Kristen03

this is just horrible !!!! :eek more people need to know about this !