Verified Reviewer

I have been a Petco customer for years. I shop there for my current dog, my previous dog, our fish, our guinea pig, etc.

I also use your grooming services. We have been bringing our dog to the grooming center at your location in Wesley Chapel, FL for years. Even when my family and I moved to Lutz, FL (right near the Odessa border), I still drove our dog to the grooming center in Wesley Chapel (which is a good 25-30 minute drive from us) simply because my dog was comfortable with the grooming team there and I felt they truly cared for him. Our dog is part of our family and we want him to be treated well and loved by whoever grooms him regularly.

That is why I was appalled and literally shocked when I arrived with him to his most recent grooming appointment on Sunday, 2/14/21. I mistakenly thought his appointment was at 11:30am, so I arrived shortly before 11:30. When we arrived, we were told his appointment was actually at 12:30pm. I apologized for the confusion and assumed they'd take him until his appointment time.

The woman in charge at the grooming center came out and told me they wouldn't hold him for me. I asked why. Was it because they didn't have any room? She replied that they did have room for him, however, they had "new policies" due to Covid.

That they no longer held dogs in crates but rather took them in and groomed them immediately to get them in and out as fast as possible. I explained to her that I'd been coming there for years and I'd never had a problem with this before. She said these were "new rules" put into place within the last month or so. She asked me to come back at 12:30.

I explained to her that I lived 30 minutes away. So for me to drive all the way home and all the way back would not make much sense. I also told her I couldn't just wait in my car with my dog for the next hour because my children had a birthday party they needed to attend. I again apologized for the mistake in appointment times and pleaded with her to make a one time exception due to the circumstances.

She knew I was a long time customer. While I was speaking with her a few groomers even came out to "greet" my dog knowing him on a first name basis. I was shocked when she said she could not provide this one time exception for me and told me to come back at 12:30. I told her I would not be bringing him back ever again and she simply said "ok, I understand." I am disgusted by this location's grooming center.

I was under the impression that they truly cared for my dog and considered him family since they'd been seeing him since he was a puppy. The fact that I made a mistake and showed up an hour early for his appointment (for the first time ever-I had a lot going on this past weekend), and though they had the room for her they couldn't help me out really showed me their true colors. This is not the Petco I feel cares about pets. I immediately called Petsmart which is right down the road from Petco, and explained my situation to them.

That it would take me an hour to drive home and back and that Petco would not keep my dog until they were ready to groom him. They said although they were very booked, they would squeeze him in for me due to my situation. They also could not groom him until 12:30, however, because they care about their customers, they agreed to hold him until then. I was so grateful to this store that I have NEVER EVEN BEEN TO for helping me out when the store I have been going to FOR YEARS refused to do so.

I will never shop at another Petco again. Yes, I realize I am only one customer and you probably do not care about losing the business of just one customer, however, you should be ashamed that this is how the people who represent your company treat their long time customers.

User's recommendation: Do not come here if you are looking for people who truly care for your pets.

Product or Service Mentioned: Petco Grooming Service.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

Petco Cons: Treatment to pets, Not customer friendly, Not willing to go the extra mile.

Location: 1231 Bruce B. Downs Boulevard, Wesley Chapel, FL 33544