Beware of Petco grooming facility.

I took my dog to be groomed at Petco.She ended up getting Mange from their instruments.

Hours after coming home from being groomed, my dog began itching and scratching herself a lot. At first, I thought they may have used a harsh shampoo. We rinsed her with warm water to try to wash out any chemicals, but it didn't help. By the next day, my dog was itching so bad, I thought maybe she got flees from Petco.

We bathed her again at home and could not find any flees. By the evening, the skin beneath her fur was so red and she actually gouged herself from scratching so bad. We took her to the vet and he told us she had contracted Mange. They had to sedate her and scrape her skin to try to get the mites out from under her skin.

My poor dog suffered so much for weeks and it took months to heal. The only place my dog had been to besides our home is Petco. We have a fenced in backyard which is sprayed by an exterminating service monthly to keep pests out. She spends most of the time inside, but does go to the backyard.

I called Petco, which took several days to speak with a manager. He took my details and information. they referred me to corporate office where I also provided my details and copies of all of my vet and medication receipts. They would not acknowledge any wrongdoing and would not even refund me the cost of the grooming.

We spent hundreds of dollars on Vet bills and medicine, but my main concern is all of the pain and suffering my poor dog went through just because of this incompetent company.

They did not care about what happened to my dog.They are in it for the money, no matter what all of their fake advertisements say.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

Helpful? 7 Yes 7 22 No 22
Had the same issue 0 Yes 0
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Jan 31 #1103770

You can't just assume it was their fault without proper evidence. Your dog could have possibly been infected from your yard...pest control sprays wont get it out of the ground, it has to be specially treated. All it takes is a cat or squirrel or any other animal to drop into your yard and BAM, the ground is contaminated. Bring in a specialist or buy a home kit and do your research before posting a negative review.

0 0 Reply

Oct 20, 2014 #887680

Mange does not develop in that way ....

2 0 Reply

Mar 06, 2013 #619062 Utica, Michigan

I'm an owner of 2 German Shepards trained workers in law enforcement. I have over 20 years experience in the care training and overall knowledge of health issues.

I only happened on this sight because my friend shops at Pet Co and swears by the store and I shop at Pet Smart. I was all set as fun to show her my store was better.

I saw this and you were miss informed. I doubt your vet told you your dog COULD have contacted mange (mites) from Pet Co grooming showing signs within hours. If he did get a new vet.

As you said your vet tried to do scrapings to find mites beneath the skin.

A vet will do scrapings and TRY and see mites through a scope from those scrapings. It is very difficult to identify mange mites because they are buried so deep in a dog's skin. Most vets will rely on clinical signs or your pet’s history to make a final diagnosis. If you don't choose to go into a more invasive study through a doctor of Animal Dermatology.

Most importantly in this case you should know that the incubation period (between exposer to apparent systoms) is 1 to 3 weeks not the same day. I believe a shampoo not being a bad shampoo, exasperated an existing problem.

All dogs raised normally by their mothers possess demodectic mange mites (Demodex canis), which are transferred from mother to pup via cuddling during the first few days of life. Most dogs live in harmony with their mites, never
... Show more

7 0 Reply
Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.