Los Angeles, California

Company information:

PETCO

Fontana, California

United States

I worked for PETCO for over two years, promoted to pricing and inventory manager held this position for eight months part of my job was to mark items down to manager choice before they get donated to rescue groups, during that time they transfer over a assistant manager who was already labeled as lazy, I complained about her from the start her demeanor was racial she was always profiling the African American customers and employee's accusing them of stealing items from the store and stealing snakes when in fact the snakes were never missing she did not do a proper habitat check when I called PETCO HOTLINE and my DM all of my complaints were ignored and in January 2010, I marked down a blk fish stand from the last standing clearance price of $72.00 to the new manager choice price of $65.00 which I had the right to do so, and on that Saturday weekend before Superbowl I purchased one for that price plus my discount which I had the right to use and everyone knew about it, they waited until almost seven weeks after that when I complained again against there assistant store manager for racial profiling against an ex African American ex employee and slandering my name to lower ranking employees to say I should not have bought the product for that price and fired me and refuse to give me my unemployment, when they all know it was a lie I had been purchasing manager choice since I was first hired and while I was in the position NO-One Never Came and Said What Your Doing Is Wrong, However the assistant store manager was able to deceive PETCO return all products off a receipt that a Caucasian employee parent had purchased without their discount card then re-ring it and apply the employee discount without the parent nor the product in the store and sign forms and return $20.00 dollars to the employee dad who happens to be her neighbor: PETCO Policy you cannot get your discount without your card and proper ID, so is that not internal theft, but she is still employed, she's Caucasian, he's Caucasian and I am a person of color. If you believe in equal treatment no matter ethical profile BOYCOTT PETCO, THEY ARE LIARS, BIAS AND PREJUDICES...MAKE YOUR VOICE OF DISAPPROVAL COUNT...

Product or Service Mentioned: Petco Manager.

Comments

#198394

This lady is right in some respects. In the Petco atmosphere if you acknowledge a wrong by an employee and the store manager does not like what you acknowledged and who acknowledged it against, you have become a target for dismisal.

This is to bad because this could be a great place to work. But there are too many people in the Petco enviroment that have longevity on the job that should have been let go along time ago. To many good employees have walk through their doors only to find that those employees who have been working for the company along long time are very bias about other employees and customers. So the question is why doesn't Petco get rid of their bias employees?

These employees run off the good employee. The bias stick togather and its hard for the DM to see what is happening.

As long as the numbers are meant that all they care about. The employees go through this company like water.

"I'm black, everyone is prejudiced against me, I have it so hard, waaaaaaah!"

Also, a black person is just BLACK, not "african" american. Unless they just came over from Africa. My great grandparents came over from the Ukraine but I don't call myself a Ukraine-American.

If CAJUNGIRL says she experienced racism at work, including systematic racism on the part of one supervisor and the ignoring of complaints by headquarters, only troll-like people would post to her, a stranger, accusing her of making it up or using race as an excuse. Get real, how would strangers know and why would strangers even bother to challenge her about it unless they are merely being jerks projecting their own biases and issues on to her post?

In addition, it isn't unheard of for individuals in management to mistreat employees, including racist or sexist behaviors and double standards. It is also too common for companies to ignore complaints until they end up sued. There have been numerous such cases over the last 20 years.

Having said that, CAJUNGIRL, typing in all CAPS is cyber-yelling and difficult to read. I tried to read all of your responses but then didn't because of it. More people will read your posts carefully if you refrain from cyber-yelling, and do use punctuation because that makes for easier reading too.

Employees should get together and file a joint discrimination suit and then the company would be forced to take responsibility for racist managers.

I HAVE WORKED AT SEVERAL PETCOS AND IN THE LAST ONE I'VE WORKED AT ( FOR 3 YEARS ) I'VE SEEN THE SAME TREATMENT HE MENTIONED ON A DAILY BASIS. pEOPLE OF COLOR ARE RARELY HIRED AND EXCEPT FOR ONE PERSON, NEVER PROMOTED.

IF PEOPLE OF COLOR COME INTO THE STORE, THE MANAGER MAKES US FOLLOW THEM AROUND UNTIL THEY LEAVE. IF THE PEOPLE OF COLOR ARE MALE, HE MAKES CONSTANT COMMENTS ABOUT HOW SCARY THEY ARE. IF YOU COMPLAIN TO THE HOTLINE OR THE DM, NOTHING HAPPENS EXCEPT THAT HE GETS FIRE-HAPPY IN THE STORE. THE PERSON WHO COMPLAINED IS CONSIDERED DISGRUNTLES AND GETS ENOUGH WRITE-UPS THAT HE/SHE IS FIRED.

IN THE THREE YEARS I'VE SEEN HIM DO THIS TO FOUR PEOPLE. I NEED MY JOB.

I USED TO LOVE IT BUT I'M LOOKING FOR A NEW ONE. HE'S THE ONLY ONE THAT HAS BEEN LIKE THIS OUT OF THE 6 MANAGERS I'VE HAD.

There are so many things that can be said here. But I will stick to a few.

1) Ive not seen this kind of activity in Petco and Im a woman of color as well. I love this place. 2) It is sadly true that when some people are fired they try to play that trump card of being terminated or mistreated based on racial background. 3) I would make it tremendously easy if someone used punctuation correctly.

It makes reading the post so much easier. I think what you did is against company policy, you got caught and fired and you are now trying to use the internet as a battleground.

As a woman of color myself Im disgusted with behavior like this. Makes the rest of us look bad.

CAJUNGIRL

AND FOR YOUR INFORMATION PETCO EMPLOYEE THE RING PRICE WAS A BLANK PROMPT SO IT REQUIRES YOU TO PUT IN THE MC$ PRICE WHICH WAS 65.00 THE NSC LAST CLEARANCE PRICE WAS $72.00, SO I WAS WITHIN MY RIGHTS AND SINCE YOUR SUCH A EXPERT YOU WOULD HAVE KNOWN THAT REALLY....

PETCO HAS A BIAS AND UNFAIR TREATMENT STANDARDS AGAINST AFRICAN AMERICANS BUT THE TRUTH IS OTHER RACES STILL FROM THEM ON A DAILY BASIS AND IT'S OK WITH PETCO THEY RAISE PRICES AND USE IT DURING INVENTORY AS A INSURANCE WRITE-OFF....WHEN YOU DO WRONG AGAINST GOD'S ANOINTED YOU WILL FEEL THE WRATH OF GOD JUST WATCH AND SEE

CAJUNGIRL

WELL PETCO EMPLOYEE, FOR YOUR INFO AT THE STORE I WORKED AT WE WERE ALL ALLOWED TO USE OUR EMPLOYEE DISCOUNT ON MC$, SO BEFORE YOU THINK YOU KNOW EVERYTHING CHECK YOURSELF AND PETCO IS A BIAS RACIAL CORPORATION WHITE AND HISPANIC CAN DO THINGS AND IT'S IGNORED OR JUSTIFIED WHEN A PERSON OF COLOR DO IT THEY USE IT AGAINST THEM YOUR PROBABLY ONE OF THEM,AND BECAUSE I SERVE JESUS IT WILL BE EXPOSED THE DEVIL WILL NOT WIN CAUSE HE'S NO MATCH FOR JESUS AND NEITHER OR YOU....... :grin

Just pointing out that what you bought actually WAS against company policy. Manager's choice merchandise may be purchased in conjunction with the employee discount ONLY if they are left at the ringing price- in your case 72.00. You can't use your discount on an MC$ item if you mark it down past ringing price.

WELL JAKE,

AT LEAST WE BOTH AGREE ON THE FACT YOUR NOT MY ENGLISH PROFESSOR, HE ACTUALLY ENJOYED MY PRESENCE IN HIS CLASS BEING INTELLIGENT AND SERVING MY COUNTRY WAS A RESPECT I EARNED WITH HUMBLENESS AND GRACE. I HAVE EVERY RIGHT TO VOICE MY DISAPPROVAL OF PETCO BIAS AND UNFAIR TREATMENT OF PEOPLE OF COLOR NO MATTER EMPLOYED OR A CONSUMER,IT BEING THE FIRST AMENDMENT TO THE CONSTITUTION FREEDOM OF SPEECH. SO REGARDLESS TO YOUR OPINION WHICH EVERYONE HAS ONE I MARCH ON,FIGHT ON SO IF MY MESSAGE GETS ACROSS TO A FEW HUNDRED THEN MY VOICE HAS BEEN HEARD. SO IF YOU BELIEVE BIAS AND UNFAIR TREATMENT IS WRONG THEN BOYCOTT PETCO AND HAVE A GOOD YEAR......

FIND A CONCERN THAT MATTERS TO YOURSELF FIND THE PROS AND CONS TO YOUR FIGHT, THEN SEE HOW MANY FOOLS WITH ABSTRACT VIEW COMMENT ON WHAT YOU BELIEVE IN. AND SEE HOW MANY YOU CAN CONVINCE TO BELIEVE IN WHAT YOU BELIEVE, AS FOR ME I BELIEVE IN EQUALITY AND NON BIAS TREATMENT. IN AMERICA YOU QUICKLY LEARN THAT CAUCASIANS AND PEOPLE OF COLOR ARE TREATED DIFFERENTLY ALL ACROSS THE BOARD. FOR EXAMPLE TIGER WOODS AND HIS ISSUES WITH HIS WIFE AND PITTSBURGH STEELERS QUARTERBACK BIG BEN,ONE WAS A CHEATER AND THE OTHER ACCUSED OF RAPE AND ASSAULT TWICE, PERSON OF COLOR DISGRACED BEFORE THE WORLD THROUGH THE MEDIA ENDORSEMENTS PULLED BAD MOUTH FOR COMMITTING ADULTERY AND DISHONORING HIS WIFE AND CHILDREN, AND BIG BEN ALL CHARGES DROPPED AND HIS ISSUES QUIETLY DISAPPEARED. TIGER'S ISSUE NONE OF AMERICA'S BUSINESS ON THE OTHER HAND BIG BEN ONE VERY CONCERNING DID HE VIOLATE THESE WOMEN THAT IS THE QUESTION????????TWO ETHICAL BACKGROUNDS WITH MONEY BUT RACE PLAYED A BIG PART IN HOW THE MEDIA PLAYED INTO IT. :p

I, too, am a college graduate. I have degrees in business as well as logistics.

As I said in my original reply, if it is a legitimate racial issue, then you have every right to file a lawsuit. It's hard to be racist when I'm also an African American :?. I don't want to disrespect any race, but I call it like I see it. I don't speak from preconceived notions that the media is shoving down peoples throats, I speak from real world experience.

To put it bluntly, I call it like I see it. You are right on one of your points - I'm not your English professor (thank God :))

HEY JAKE,

FIRST AND FOREMOST IM A BI-RACIAL PERSON OF COLOR AND THE RULE OF THUMB IS PEOPLE HAVE A RIGHT TO BE TREATED EQUALLY AND CONSUMERS HAVE A RIGHT TO BE TREATED WITH RESPECT. AND IT'S IGNORANT OF YOU TO SAY "ALL AFRICAN AMERICAN CRY RACISM" STEREOTYPING A RACE OF PEOPLE IS RACISM AND APPARENTLY THAT'S WHAT YOU ARE, ONLY IN AMERICA IS THERE TRUE BIAS AND IMPARTIAL TREATMENT OF THE RACES.

FYI I DO HAVE A LAW SUIT PENDING WITH WONDERFUL ATTORNEY'S FIRST ONE BEING JESUS CHRIST AND THE REST ON THIS EARTH, UNFORTUNATELY IT'S NON-TEAM-WORKERS LIKE YOURSELF THAT'S LAZY AS H...

THAT PREY ON HARD WORKING HUMAN BEINGS, AS A MANAGER I TOOK ON A RESPONSIBILITY TO ENSURE EVERYONE FOLLOWED THE CORPORATION CODE OF ETHICS, AND ON THE OTHER HAND IT'S TOO MANY SORRY LAZY DISRESPECTFUL PEOPLE LIKE YOURSELF THAT I WOULD NOT HIRE BECAUSE YOUR WORDS SPEAK VOLUMES....LETS STOP THE RACISM IN AMERICA WE ALL BLEED THE SAME UNLESS YOUR FROM OUTER SPACE AMERICA IS THE ONLY COUNTRY THAT COLOR CODE HUMANS HOW ***....THE COLOR OF YOUR SKIN DOES NOT CLASSIFY YOUR ETHNICITY, AND BY THE WAY UNLESS YOUR A PROFESSOR OF ENGLISH AND I AM PAYING YOU TO CRITIQUE MY PARAGRAPH THEN STAND DOWN, I AM A COLLEGE GRAD WITH A 3.5 GPA AND A RETIRED DISABLE UNITED STATES VETERAN...... :?

Wow, was there anyone that you liked to work with at that store? From what I read (which was extremely painful to do because you don't know what a period is), all you're doing is complaining about everyone you work with.

Not to be a ***, but if all you did on the job was complain to everyone about everyone, I'd have fired you too.

If it truly was a racial thing, then you have every right to be mad and to file a court case. On the other hand, I've held managerial jobs and know for a fact that a lot of African Americans will cry racism if they get fired - even if it's completely justified.

#131955

You can sue them ! Go do the right thing.

You guys dont get it, your "Freedom" means i can open a company tommorow, rip you off and get away with it.

Wake up people !

There is no such thing as "the free market regulate itself" thats Rush Limbaugh BS and you guys fall for it. Market needs regulation, if not, stuff like that will keep happening all over your precious god blessed America.