Beaverton, Oregon
2.3
Layout of Store

Crazy fish lady at the Petco store in Hillsboro, OR off 185th tried to make me feel guilty about my tank size and my goldfish. She made me say I would upgrade my tank before getting a fish for me.

How rude. I've had fish in this tank before and they did just fine. I don't want to be degraded when I go into a store to buy a fish! She was completely rude and out of line.

I won't ever go back to that store for sure! Peace out, they are making me put at least 100 words, thanks

Preferred solution: She should be told to keep her mouth shut.

Petco Cons: Lady that sold me the goldfish.

Comments

That guy knows what's up.

Go on Google and type "Goldfish Care".

Or, the more preferable option, keep your mouth shut, and stop keeping fish.

You're mad because you're uneducated about fish care. Take a seat.

Had same issue today (3/26/15). Brought a 3 gallon tank and wanted two guppies, fish lady wouldn't sell me guppies cause tank wasn't up and running for 24 hours.

Left store terribly upset, but after thinking about it, if it helps fish stay alive I'm all for it.

This is a child's gift and I eant fish healthy as possible. Drexel Hill,PA

Do you mean someone at Petco actually cares about their fish? Not in my experience!

I went into a Petco to add a few Cories to my Guppy tank. When I told the fish manager that one of her cories was acting strangely (swimming sideways) she looked at it, shrugged, and said, "it looks fine to me." After having watched these fish a number of times, I knew that wasn't true and called her on it. But she looked down her nose at me and asked, "are you an expert on fish?"

Apparently, I am more of an expert than she is, because 5 minutes later the fish was floating upside down. While still not dead, it was obviously dying slowly.

I called another employee, and she removed the fish to the plant tank which seemed to greatly revive the poor creature since it's empty of other fish and full of abundant plant life.

I hate Petco's "nothing-we-can-do" attitude toward their fish. That's why they have so many dead fish. SO I'm really surprised to hear any Petco employee cares what kind of tank you have your goldfish in. It must be REALLY, REALLY small for a Petco employee to object to it!

I have my three feeder goldfish in a 10-gallon tank and they've been happy as clams for three years.

But I do keep it very clean and that takes much more work than a guppy tank. And it is only 4 inches of fish all together.

@Fishlover

If a fish is dying what can they do about it? Preform CPR?

Really there is nothing that can be done about it. For someone that thinks they can save a fish by preforming CPR on it or something else silly you are not the fish expert you make yourself out to be.

KevinRichards

You deserve to be degraded for being cheap, and hopefully someone puts you in a room that is 4feet by four feet and six feet high.

KevinRichards

You should be charged with animal cruelty for making attempting to make them live under these conditions.

You neglected to tell us the size of your tank. Goldfish are related to carp, which get huge.

The minimum tank for a goldfish is 20 gallons.

In something smaller, you're torturing the fish. Your fish didn't do fine, they died early, as goldfish can live 20 years easily.

You got mad over someone doing their job? You understand goldfish need two gallons of per inch of fish right. Try using your brain before you spout off on the internet.

@jersey

They also get fairly large too

Petco
#891978

We're sorry to hear about your experience at your local store trying to purchase a new fish, thank you for bringing this to our attention. Can you please call our customer support at 888-824-7257 and speak with our team about what happened so we can look into this further and try to make things right?