Improper care, false advertising, rough treatment, and rude service from Petco
I'm currently working on a school project for AP Environmental Science about biodiversity. This is a project that involves different variables, showing our understanding of interdependence, and the study of living subjects, showing our ability as students to maintain a controlled study with free, independently thinking variables (such as animals). I've always wanted a fish tank, and there's no better way to affordably do this than to responsibly set up a community fish tank and observe the inhabitants, so I was immediately excited to start working. The project will be active over the course of a year, and maintaining the best possible health of the animals involved is the heart of the whole setup, so you could imagine how disappointed I was with the (so far) outcome of the snails I've purchased at Petco.
I had done about 6 months of research on the animals that were going to be involved in the project, but not much on available store quality when I had initially bought my apple snail and three nerite snails. I was very upset with the customer service. I had no pick of which animals I received, and all of them were either sick or injured.
THE MAJOR ISSUES:
Suzie, the apple snail, was falsely labeled as another species, and nearly half her shell was brutally torn off by her tank mates. The man who helped me dropped her while handling and roughly smacked her against the glass wall in attempt to catch her, leaving a still healing crack across her entire body (more details on Suzie's condition are described in the attached photos). Suzie is currently doing MUCH better, and the remaining nerite snails are as well.
The nerite snails seemed a little better, however they were all severely malnourished, half of the animals in the tank were dead, and the loaches had bitten into the shells so far that the sensitive flesh beneath was openly exposed. In a later photo, one of those bites is still visible, and has yet to heal (circled in red). Two of the snails are currently doing fine, but the third (with the most and deepest bites) died shortly after living in the tank, maybe a few weeks? I was told by the employee that "helped" me that none of the invertebrates are fed. Really? NONE of your animals are being properly managed? The deceased snail ate like it had never seen food before once it was introduced, but rarely moved across the tank. It was clearly sick, and despite my best efforts, it did the best it probably ever could have seeing the conditions it had previously lived in.
The tanks were filled with dead animals, and they were all crammed into tanks much too small for any one of them -let alone the hordes of around 100 nerites and about 30 apple snails ON TOP of the aggressive fish. The employees were rude and didn't want to help me, it was a struggle to convince one of them to come give me their sickly animals. When I asked if I could have an apple snail, the man didn't even hesitate to pull any one out of the bottom of the tank. He even looked through the ones crunched together at the bottom, some of which had been dead for so long the little trapdoor appendages had rotted off and floated away as he pushed around for Suzie. Had I have known beforehand how awful the conditions were, I NEVER would have purchased any of these animals, but once I was there it felt wrong to just say "never mind" and let them die there. Out of curiosity, I went to another Petco (this time to purchase extra filter cartridges since it was the only nearby place that offered them), and the conditions were exactly the same. Dead fish in overcrowded tanks being handled by rude employees. These places should be shut down.
As for those last two photos, that is not Suzie or any other snail from Petco, those are other apple snails of the genetic strain that Suzie is. I was under the impression that I was going to have a snail the size of a golfball, not a beast like that. She will definitely be well taken care of here, but buyers be warned! THAT is what Petco is trying to sell as the comparably tiny Golden Inca Snail.
More Review Details
|Layout of Store|
|Discounts and Special Offers|
|Diversity of Products or Services|
|Exchange, Refund and Cancellation Policy|
What I liked
- Not much any more
- Variety of goods for sale
What I disliked
- Animal conditions
- Customer treatment
- Animal handling
- Reason of review:
- Lack of education among workers who deal with abused animals on a daily basis
- Preferred solution:
- Full refund
- Monetary loss:
- Product or service
- Apple Snail
- Review category
- Pet Stores
Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more ›
You May Also Like
- "I ordered a reptile terrarium from petco online because they were having a sale. It was the only reason I decided to order from them and since I was ordering..."
- "I was given a beautiful min pin terrier puppy for an early xmas present from my boyfriend on halloween. She lasted not even 72hrs before we had to take her..."
- "My boy Sammy, five year old Bichon was groomed on 02/06/2016 , I was told they may need to cut his hair short due to knots on his fur, I..."
- "Another "Posher" broke almost every listing rule: - inappropriate language - asking / pursuing a buyer if they're interested just bc they ask a ? - trying to do a..."
- "I would like to apply for a Canadian permanent residency from Dubai. I am an Indian with a masters in business administration and currently working as a Business Development Manager..."
- "On 1/22/17 I entered Walgreens pharmacy around 6:45. I gave the pharmacist my mothers prescription. She then informed me that they had stopped filling prescriptions. The prescription was on an..."
- "Restraunt never received order... Called next day for refund.... Phone system said "10 minute wait" turned into 51 minute wait!.... Waste of time in 2 days!!!!! Customer service DID NOT..."
- "Hi Jo Kelly, My name is Jim Woodbury from Long Beach and would like to know who you were able to contact. I recently purchases from Vida in Beautiful Cancun Grand..."
- "Just had my house cleaned by Richard Armijo - RPM Company. I cannot believe I paid $89 for his work. He was in a hurry to get to his..."