Minneapolis, Minnesota
3.6K views

i was an employee of petco for 10 1/2 years. recently had to find a new job because of a conversation that my manager( store manager) and I had..during this conversation, she called me the B word several times, and that i don't F'en do this and don't F'en do that!

she is the 4th manager that i have worked under at this store. and the worst! we went over a month with out talking one word to each other last year! and this time, i did not talk to her for 17 days..

what a wonderful manager!!!! i also was scratched be a cat right above my eye, which scared. and bit my a dog to lip lip and scared. all in the last year!

i think i should get some compensation for all of this. i sent a long drawn out e-mail to my DM and his boss. and all i got was " thank you for your 10 1/2 years! this store would be the coon rapids store -in minnesota!!!!!!!!!!

this happened in 6-28-10t 3 weeks.. todays date is 6-28-10

Product or Service Mentioned: Petco Manager.

Comments

I used to work at the Petco in Ft. Lauderdale FL on in Oakland Park.

I worked there for 5 years. I pretty much hated most of my time there. However, the pay was pretty good though. I started at 9 (while other places started at 7.50) and by the time I left, I was making 10.50 per hour.

So even though I hated most of it, once I got that paycheck, I was happy. Plus, I was only there part time, so I didn’t have to see this store every day. That was reward enough.

However, the company became a “dictatorship”, for lack of better terms, and they would arbitrarily come up with new policies to justify cutting employee's hours.

Like the attachment rate, signing up new costumers to the rewards card system, donations and.... (my favorite).... The notorious CLI, Costumer Loyalty Index survey, just to name a few. For those of you who worked there, you know what this silly little survey is.

We had to get all 5's (1 being worst, 5 being best) on each survey question or it would count against us. Even though a FOUR is still good, it still counted like if we received a ONE.

To make matters worse, the CLI score was somehow attached to the amount of payroll hours a store gets..... WTF?

I'm no expert in economics, but I though sales affected that. Just comes to show that this is just another shady thing this company does to pocket more money for themselves, even if sales are good. There goes that “trickle down theory”. The only thing trickling down are the district managers and company executives *** all over their hard working employees.

On top of keeping up with the CLI, attachments rates, animal care and customer service, they wanted us to finish putting out the weekly shipment out on the floor, with just 2 employees on the floor, because we had no payroll hours, due to a “low CLI score”….

What a Joke. Now for those of you who worked there, you know that is impossible to finish shipment with only two employees on the floor. And of course, who can forget the never ending price changes, where you had to go in product by product, shelf by shelf and replace the old price tag with a new price tag. And half the time the original price would go up, and the new tag would boast a “SALE” price of what the original price was on the old tag.

What a JOKE!!!

Of course, the store manager was no help either. He was sarcastic and rude to ALL the employees at Oakland Park. There were rumors the GM was best friends, even lovers with the DM. One day the store manager had the cops called on him by an employee for blocking the exit way of one of the young girl employees.

The cops arrived and one of the officers told the store manager he’s lucky he’s not getting locked up for that. That is a form of imprisonment, by blocking someone’s entry and exit way. The young girl even sent a letter of complaint detailing the incident and a copy of the police report to corporate and even the DM. Was the store manager reprimanded?....

No… Of course not.

In the end I had the last laugh, I was fired and collected unemployment from their account. Least they could do as a parting gift for wasting five years of my last with them while I find a better job.

I mean, if company executives get a parting gift of 20 million to go on their merry way, heck, let me get my 200 dollars per week for the next few months.

@Pet-Ho

I hear ya!!!!! Same at our store outside Chicago.

Seriously same exact problems. How can I get fired?Love animals but the customers are so high maintenance! Seriously does anybody expect the cashier at target to have long conversations with ever customer? It’s exhausting people give us a brake!

We work our tails off just to keep up with the daily store duties.

Don’t get me wrong I love helping people keep their furry friends happy but why do they think we should know everything about every product and want us to diagnose problems there pets are having!!! We are not psychics or veterinary.

I used to work at the Petco in Ft. Lauderdale FL on in Oakland Park.

What a JOKE!!!

No… Of course not.

@Pet-***

As a former employee of 20 1/2 years I, too, saw & experienced alot of what you're talking about. A lot of their policies are unrealistic & GREED-DRIVEN !!!

The donation drives are a joke......as PETCO keeps 50% of all donation money collected!!! We NEVER had enough staff (especially on weekends); there were never enough knowledgeable employees (training was so minimal for 'new-hires', & employees weren't required to be animal lovers......it drove those of us who were crazy!!!).

The longer you work for PETCO (especially if you speak up about anything ), the more they cut your hours (then hire new people for less $$ per hour)!!! Of the whole time I worked at PETCO, I'd say I only really enjoyed about 5 or 6 of the 20 1/2 years :( At least I left on my own terms......I'm now RETIRED :) :) :)

store1485 Harker Heights

She kept her job and her position as Grooming Manager.

Animals are first, right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guess not. Only the money they may loose from a customer.

I hope the big guys will read this and think about what is more important. I was hired at Petco 11 years ago. I got a good job offer from a different store so I gave my notice. I told a customer that I will leave and some more personal information. I had two more days left at Petco but then got fired from my GM because of the information I gave a customer. Now that is strange to me because the grooming manager was abusing dogs about 1 1/2 years ago. I do not think she got reported to Petco and got only a little talk with the GM.

She kept her job and her position as Grooming Manager.

Animals are first, right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guess not. Only the money they may loose from a customer.

I hope the big guys will read this and think about what is more important.

I worked at the petco in miami florida (2712) for 4 years!!! I put in alot of effort into the company.

I quit on the spot and found myself a great job. At petco the managers sat in the office and talked all day and when the employess will talk while working we will get written up we couldnt even be friends on facebook. The general manager will put you down for everything and since shes 300 pounds she wanted everything done for her.

Corporate should really look into this store. The only time they clean is when the district manager comes in.

PetCo has always had problems with the computer system. The grooming computer constantly went down several times a week but corp decided we were not allowed to have an appt book.

So we had no idea who was scheduled or what was going on when the computer failed. It happened all the time!

Best thing this time is that PetSmart did record breaking business when they all went down on Saturday and many people who shopped PetCo as habit have now seen what a wonderful, clean store PetSmart is and the first class customer service that is given. ha ha on you PetCo!

so my sister that works at petco told me that the systems along the east coast were having technical problems and their registers were down. after telling me that this was the worst day of work ever she continued to tell me that not only did they have to check out every customer that came in manually, but the remaining sales people had to follow around each and every customer writing down sales codes as well as prices.

now ask me how is this fair?

not only to the customers but to the employees of the store.

petco, you do not pay your employees enough to have them run around with every person in the store or calculating everything by hand. its just not right.

if this happens again you're going to have more than just angry customers.

Spent 6 years of my life working for Petco. Used to be a great place to work until a year ago.

Suddenly, payroll is the most important thing. Along with attachment rate. Animals are now taking a back seat to making money. I understand the Petco Foundation does a wonderful job for homless pets, but it is unfair that you can get written up and FIRED for not bringing in enough donations.

Same thing with attachment rate. Our manager is the most awesome person I have ever worked for, but it is beyond her control. All corporate. She just has to do what she is told.

Can't wait until next week. Giving my two weeks notice as soon as I get to work. Taking a pay cut, but worth it to leave. The district manger for this store should be fired.

He is rude, cusses, and hits on the young, cute associates. Very unprofessional.

If I thought it would do any good, I would call the hotline and report him. But I know it would make no difference so my hands are tied.

@also disgruntled employee

I hear ya, our district manager is a joke!!! Agree I would call but why.

#421968

@Ben.

Good luck with that one. I wish everyone that is screwed by PetCo could get together and have a class action suit!

Look online for a number to call. Or talk to a person still employed at that *** hole and ask for the Hotline number.

How do you make an official complaint to the company? I cant seem to find a place on line. They owe me two pay checks and its been six months !!

@Ben

petco corp. number is 888 824-7257

I've been with the company 3 years, the managers all suck. Every manager out of both stores i've worked for sits in the back office and never come out.

They don't even manage. They leave every responsibility to to associates who bust their butts. I've to this day never seen a single manager clean a habbitat, helped face at the end of the night or even check on employees. This may sound like I just don't want to do my part but when your given 100 hours amongst 10 employees, =no hours.

We get stuck with 1 manager on duty and 1 associate, and when the managers sit in the back room the whole time, your stuck with upset customers, bad service (becuz theres only one of me) and pissed off employees who don't want to work becuz we dont get paid enough to do what we do. Average day...wake up to cleaning animal ***, clean 34 fish tanks, deal with every customer by yourself, and when its busy, deal with pissy customer after pissy customer, because the the managers won't get of their lazy butts and actually help out. Oh and donations, we never have a time when we are not collecting donations. And we have quotas....FOR DONATIONS!

We literally get in trouble when we don't get enough donations collected, and I'm sorry if I was a frequent shopper there, and got asked to donate every time i came in, I'd get a little upset, the economy sucks, people don't even want to spend the money on their own animals buying IDK healthy food let alone donate money they don't have to other animals. I've also seen my store manager and other managers take sick animals, while they are still alive, and put them in the freezer....Alive. Then you go to the Dm, and HR, and what happen? Nothing!

it's this circle of ***, where nothing gets done about anything, no one in that entire company is willing to actually do their jobs. they rather just cut peoples hours to 3 hours a week rather then fire them because they don't want to give people unemployment.

they just hope these people quit, and everything is bias, these managers have reasons to cut people down to nothing off of the simple fact that they just don't like them. The whole company is pathetic!

In response to loripass2010, I work in a New Jersey location and two managers have been fired for the same thing. It's complete nonsense.

There was no written procedure on how to deal with found gift cards. The manager I know left the gift card in the safe for two weeks to see if anyone would claim it.

It only had $2.57 and this manager was also fired for using it and told that the money belonged to petco and she was unethical. Now I ask you, if there is no written policy on how to deal with this, then how is it legal to fire someone over it?

i quit petco one year ago newyears eve on 2010. it was the best thing i ever did.

most of all my grooming clients have found me. it is a small idaho town. most of my customers refuse to shop there now. due to the ill way the suites treat there employees.

its been a great year! i worked at peco just over 7 years first three years were good but the last four years was ***.

not a good company at all. and distict mananger goerge can kiss my ***!

Rock must be in CA,their manages get a salary guarenteed, and because of CA they clock in n out and get overtime if they work it...Sweet deal, we dont get that where Im from, but I agree with ROCK. Some of these seem genuine and some seem to be a misguided point of view based on feelings and not facts.

It's a horrible company. Get out.

This company really does not care about it's animals or employees. I rescued a bearded dragon last month that kept getting sand in its eye and week after week, he did not go to the vet, he almost lost his eye and i took him home and footed the vet bill.

I've been an employee for nearly 2 years and our store just moved to a new building. as a result they have cut the hours SO drastically that there are a mere 80 hours to distribute amongst 9 employees. After nearly 2 years of busting my ***, those "suits" come in and *** on their most hardworking employees as if they were just a *** post, slash hours so that nobody can afford to pay their bills, not to mention there are NO RAISES in the company (ive been there nearly 2 years and have had a total of .35 in raises TOTAL), and raise CLI and sales expectations by $10,000. Unfortunatly I cannot find another job at the moment and am forced to live on the 150 a week that i've been cut back to.

Soon i'll be living in my car again as I cannot pay my bills and my gas is about to get shut off in january.

this is nothing but proof that these suits ONLY care about their profit and the money going into THEIR pocket. not to mention theyve raised the price on nearly EVERYTHING in the last 9 months so that customers would rather go to competitors rather than fight with the managers over a price match.

wow...n i thought i was alone in my feelings toward petco.. i worked there from 2001-2007, quit due to corporate suits, and i was just a "dog groomer"...

i was never just a dog groomer..them suits pissed on me as tho they were the dog!!@.. so,... i decided to give em another try, thinkin , maybe, they changed and realized just how hard us groomers have it... oh no..

i started bak nov 13 2011,... its now dec 3., 2011., n my manager is makin me want to quit,, i now live in phoenix az, work in the ahwatukee store, luv luv luv the dogs..... i would rather volunteer my time at the humane society, than work for the 31 year old manager, which management has gone to his head, tjan work there... I AM ABOUT THE ANIMALS....

PETCO IS NOT..!!!... once bitten, twice shy...