Petco - The lack of care towards employees and animals within the store, and poor customer service

I am very disappointed by the actions of Petco. I have seen numerous employees come and go from that website. The store used to be filled with people of all diversities, and all kinds of ethnic background but now the store is purely one color. I also notice my favorite employees that used to be there Lisa, James, are all gone. I remember Lisa for being there for about three years, James being there for a shorter amount of time. I was always surprised to see Lisa not ever get promoted. When I asked why, they would joke and say its because the store manager refused to promote females. At first I thought they were being sarcastic that is until I go in the store now. All the managers are white males, most of whom are new. I'm shocked and surprised by this. I then Google discrimination at Petco and find numerous articles and cases about the corporation being discriminatory; I also noticed the animals aren't in the best conditions anymore and even found photos of animals being in horrible conditions online. There's even a indie doc about it. I think this is horrible, and horrible Petco is not letting discrimination go on in their stores but also animal lack of care.

This doesn't surprise me at all because the store manager is a complete ***. I've heard and seen him talk down to employees, and walk away from customers. Heck he's walked away from me even after I asked where the cat food was. Very disappointed all the good employees are gone yet he's still around and still an ***.

I understand not all Petco's are like this and some stores really care about their employees and animals; it just saddens me this is happening in my own city.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

Allergens Information

• What I liked
    • Employees
  • What I disliked
    • Mistreatment of employees and animals

Reason of review:
discrimination animal cruelty
Preferred solution:
Petco needs to pay more attention to how employees and animals, and customers are treated at their stores
Product or service
Review category
Pet Stores
review #899689

Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more

Had an experience with Petco? Submit review ›
Helpful? 0 Yes 0 0 No 0
Had the same issue 0 Yes 0
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Aug 20 #1201533 Orange City, Florida

Former Petco aquatic specialist here, the location I worked until very recently had very petty management as well. That store goes through aquatic specialists like you would not believe. This is because the aquatic specialist is basically the scapegoat for everything that goes wrong. There were issues with habitats that I had been reporting over and over since I got hired, and over a year later I get fired because a corporate walk revealed that they never bothered to fix these things, and told the corporate guy that I never reported it, even after I pointed out that a manager had written a note on a tank with dry erase regarding the issue. So much lying to cover their own butts rather than just do their jobs... It's a horrible place to work, and stressed me out to the point of being medicated.

1 0 Reply

Aug 12 #1198318 San Diego, California

Thank you for bringing it to our attention. Can you please call our customer support team at (888-824-7257) so that our team can look into this situation further? We appreciate your feedback on this and we look forward to hearing from you.

0 0 Reply
Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

× You are about to contact

Review submitted through "Contact Us" will not get published on the site or forwarded to Petco. However, many companies do monitor reviews on our site.

You were reading a complaint about Petco.
Filing a new complaint about