Baltimore, Maryland

On a Friday evening in December at a brand new location in Maryland, PetCo had ONE cashier and several customers patiently waiting to check out. I stood in line for over 15 minutes and when I got to the counter...

they scanned my $100 bill in this new, high tech ultra-violet machine and said they couldn't accept my bill. My money is REAL, not fake and I will NEVER step foot in there again.

I doubt this store will be able to handle the Christmas rush successfully. What ever happened to that pen companies use to check bills?

Product or Service Mentioned: Petco Cashier.

Comments

While your money probably was good, how can you be certain?

ProbablySmarterThanYou

We aren't allowed to use that pen anymore. It's considered defacing government property.

Plus it only identifies that is a real bill. It doesn't verify the actual amount. Conterfeiters can bleach out a five dollar bill and make the bill look like a $100 bill.

I'm sorry the cashier was ignorant. She should've called a manager to the front if she doubted the legitimacy of your money.

The problem with those machines is that they only work on very brand new $50s and $100s.

So your money was probably older. The manager would've been able to verify the currency by holding it up to a light.