I bought $100 worth of cat toys and dog snacks and by the time I made it to my car I realized I didn't pick up the fourth item to complete the buy 3 get 1 free Leaps and Bounds sale.
I went back into the store to see the clerk. She was helping a customer on the floor. So I went to pick up the item I wanted and made it back to the register and she was there. I showed her my receipt and identified the three Leaps and Bounds items I just bought and let her know that I wanted this fourth item to fulfill the sale.
She looked at my receipt at the bottom and said that I got the discount. She was, however, pointing out the two line items for the manufacturer's discount that I go on two other products. I explained the situation to her again. Then she said that maybe the sale was that you bought four and then you got one free. I let her know that that wasn't what the sign said. She called the manager saying that she needed help because I said some cat toys were on sale. He came and I told him the situation. He looked at the receipt. He said that I could take the toy and he'd write it off.
While I'm glad the manager resolved the situation I have lingering concerns. First, it seems reasonable to me that the clerk would know whether or not there was a sale or would go to check the sign. Second, it seems reasonable to me that the clerk would know how to distinguish between manufacturer discounts and other sale items. Third, it seems reasonable to me to officially rectify the problem - it wasn't a write off, as if merchandise went missing, it was the rightful discount from a paid purchase.
Most importantly, I have patronized Petco for as long as I can remember. Having had three animals at a time since 1999, I have spent and untold amount of money - besides the non-essentials I purchased today. I shouldn't have been treated as if I was trying to be unethical by attempting to cheat away a $10 item from Petco, especially after spending so much for unnecessary items that day.
I will no longer be shopping there out of fairness and self-respect (obviously). That's how the free market works, eh?
More Review Details
What I liked
What I disliked
- Wondering if i would be treated like a criminal if i were white
- Reason of review:
- Poor customer service
- Product or service
- Review category
- Pet Stores
You May Also Like
- "My boy Sammy, five year old Bichon was groomed on 02/06/2016 , I was told they may need to cut his hair short due to knots on his fur, I..."
- "I have a Black Russian Terrier......very large dog. Have gone to the Fairfield location since he was a puppy and had a great groomer. She left. Since she left, he's..."
- "My girlfriend and I wanted a micro Pomeranian, so after looking online at various breeders I contacted Itsy Puppy in late October. I somehow felt comfortable about them being..."
- "I recently ordered a Spa Cover on-line from Spa Cover Direct, a purported manufacturer of quality replacement spa covers. This firm stresses the need to adequately measure your spa to..."
- "We made the mistake using Empire Carpet to replace our carpet in our home, 3 bedrooms and the stairs. The sales man Bob LaChapelle; completely mislead me about the carpet..."
- "Beware of ALL automatic telephone ordering!!!!! This way of doing business is a great way for unscrupulous companies to confuse the ordering issue and not offer any way of reviewing..."
- "I have had many issues!! 1. They have my insurance for my vehicles jacked up!! The lady who contacted me to resolve it gave me a NON WORKING email to..."
- "I WAS TOLD THAT I NEEDED TO SEND THE GREEN DOT CARDS FROM WALMART,RITE AID ETC. EVERYONE SELLS THEM. I SENT THE SCAMMER THE $2000.00 THEY WANTED FOR A JEEP..."
- "I have made the mistake of purchasing 2 leather sofa's in which the pillows tend to keep propping out and we keep sinking into the back of the sofa and..."